Purpose: To introduce learners to the concepts of acidosis and alkalosis and how the identification and treatment of these factors can be determined through arterial blood gas interpretation.
Course objectives: After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Determine acidosis or alkalosis based on a patient’s resulted pH
- Determine the respiratory effects of acidosis or alkalosis based on a patients resulted PaCO2
- Distinguish between metabolic and respiratory effects
- Identify compensation versus the correction of an acid base disorder
- Identify common causes of major acid-base disorders